Detroit Jazz Festival 2023
Jazz Goes to College Scholarship
Presented by IATSE Local 38
The Detroit Jazz Festival Foundation and International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Local 38 have teamed up to celebrate the opportunity inherent in Michigan’s Theatre- and Music-tech college programs. Music- and Theater-tech programs encompass a curriculum of study, specific to non-performance majors. These skill sets in stagecraft, from carpenters to electricians, from board operators to script supervisors – are all key to any successful live performance.
The 2023 Jazz Goes to College Scholarship seeks to reward the Theatre- or Music-tech student who has shown initiative, professionalism, and a positive attitude while continuing to pursue credits towards a tech degree in this competitive and demanding environment.
The scholarship recipient shall receive:
- $2500 cash award for the 2023-24 school year, from IATSE Local 38.
- Recognition on stage at the 2023 Detroit Jazz Festival, IATSE Local 38 presenting the award during the Festival’s award ceremony time slot (Scheduled for Sunday evening, September 3rd, 2023).
- Detroit Jazz Festival/IATSE Local 38 may promote award winner in 2023 marketing materials, and social media
- Submissions to be reviewed by IATSE and DJFF. Scholarship recipient(s) will be chosen & contacted by August 18, 2023.
- The Detroit Jazz Festival Foundation will provide the plaque for scholarship winner (presented on stage by IATSE Local 38).
- If funding permits, additional Scholarships may be awarded.
This scholarship is for students currently enrolled in Music- and Theatre-tech programs, as an incoming (matriculating) college sophomore, junior, senior. Program must be in the state of Michigan. Application and associated documents must be received by 5 pm on Friday, August 4, 2023.
Student must have a university/college faculty member willing to affirm that the student is indeed attending said tech program.
Student must upload two statements:
Student: Tell us why you are interested in pursuing a career in Music or Theatre technology or production.
Faculty: Tell us a little about this student and why you feel they would be successful in their chosen career.
Applicant must be available to attend this year's Detroit Jazz Festival Labor Day weekend award recognition ceremony, scheduled on Sunday September 3rd, on the Amphitheater Stage, Hart Plaza, Detroit, MI. The award ceremony may also be pre-recorded on Thursday, August 31st, if necessary.
Applicants must complete and submit form below: